SRISAILAM – Lord Sri Bhramarambha Mallikharjuna Swami Temple

Sri Bhramarambha Mallikharjuna Swami Temple


The town (as well as the mandal) of Srisailam is reputed for the shrine of Lord Mallikarjuna on the flat top of Nallamala Hills. It has played a dominant role in the Hindu religious, cultural and social history since ancient times. The epigraphical evidence reveals that the history of Srisailam began with the Satavahanas who were the first empire builders in South India. The earliest known historical mention of the hill, Srisailam, can be traced to the King Vasishthiputra Pulumavi’s Nasik inscription of 1st Century A.D. Srisailam or Srisailamu (Śrīśailaṁ, Śrīśailamu) is situated in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is on the banks of the Krishna River about 212 km south of Hyderabad and 179 km from Kurnool. It is sometimes spelled Shrishailam.

The shrine of Lord Mallikarjuna picturesquely situated on a flat top of Nallamalai Hills, Srisailam is reputed to be one of the most ancient kshetras in India. It is on the right side of the River Krishna in Kurnool District of Andhra Pradesh. This celebrated mountain is also named as Siridhan, Srigiri, Sirigiri, Sriparvatha and Srinagam. It has been a popular centre of Saivite pilgrimage for centuries.

The prominence of this Divya Kshetram is highlighted by the fact that while performing our daily household rituals we specify place of location of our existence with reference to Srisailam.

The presiding Deities of this kshetram Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy is one of the twelve Jyothirlingas and Goddess Bhramaramba Devi is one of the eighteen Mahasakthis and both are self-manifested. The unique feature of this kshetram is the combination of Jyothirlingam and Mahasakthi in one campus, which is very rare and only one of its kind.

There is a common belief in vogue that this Holy Kshetram exists from times immemorial. The antiquity and origin of God Mallikarjuna Swamy and Goddess Bhramaramba Devi is not known.

The Mallikarjuna Linga is accessible to each and every devotee and anybody can go into the sanctum sanctorum of Mallikarjuna, touch him and perform Abhishekam and Archana himself to recitation of Mantras by Archakas without caste or creed or religion. This clearly reveals that socialistic pattern of society started from this place and it is still in existence.

The Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple located in Srisailam is one of the 12 Jyotirlinga temples dedicated to Lord Shiva. Earlier, it was called Srigiri. The Bhramarambha Temple is also located in the same complex. It is considered as one of the eighteen Shakti Peethas in India. Bhramarambha is a very ferocious deity. Originally she was worshipped by the Chenchu people. However, during British rule, the temple was taken over by the Pushpagiri peetham forcibly with the help of the British Government ruling the Madras Presidency.

the story parvatha

Sri Mallikharjuna Swami


Sri Bhramarambha

The existing main temple is a huge complex consisting of separate temples of Mallikarjuna and Bhramaramba ,several sub shrines, pillared halls, mandapas, springs etc., This entire complex is fortified by the most impressive Prakaram wall of massive stones. The Prakaram wall contains four Dwaras ( principal gates) at four cardinals surmounted by the Gopuras. The eastern entrance is the Mahadwaram.

The centre of the temple complex consists of an enclosure bellow the level of the principal gates of the cardinals. This enclosure has Salamandapas at the northern and southern sides. The space between the inner enclosure and outer Prakaras walls was maintained gardens in olden days.

In the inner court yard there are Nandimandapa, Veerasiromandapa , the temple of Mallikarjuna, the temple of Bhramaramba and all are in a row from east to west. Some of the minor shrines such as the temple of Vriddha Mallikarjuna, Sahasra Lingeswara, Arthanariswara, Veerabhadra, Uma Maheswara and a group of five temples named as Pandava Prathista temples and a row of nine temples called as Navabrahma temples etc., are also located in the inner courtyard.


This large sized pillared Mandapa is situated immediately beyond the Mahadwaram. It is in square shape and has porches projected to the east, south and northern sides. Among the 42 pillars of this mandapa, the two pillars on each side of eastern porch and the central four pillars are of ornate designing and the remaining pillars are in simple type. The raised Adhistana of this mandapa is divided into compartments and the upper compartment is decorated with procession of elephants inter spaced by lotus medallions, fishes and swans etc., The Dwarapalakas are also carved at the upper compartment of the Adhistana on each side of the eastern porch. All these decorations are clearly of Vijayanagara period. The central portion of the mandapa is slightly raised and where a huge Nandi ( Divine bull) of 20’ by 10’ size lies facing the shrine of Mallikarjuna. The central portion of the ceiling has the figure of Nandiswara murthi( Siva and Parvathi riding on the bull ) surrounded by Dikpalakas on their respective Vahanas. The sculpting of Dikpalas on the ceiling is a rare feature .


This important structure is situated immediately to the west of the Nandimandapa, built by the Reddi King Anavema Reddi in the year 1378 AD. According to an inscription, this mandapa was constructed for the purpose of offering of their own heads, hands and tongue to the God by the Veerasaivas and this unique practice was named as Veeracharam. At present this open mandapa has 16 pillars and the low Adhistana is a simple structure. The central space of the mandapa is slightly raised and contain a circle in a square. The lower part of the stone ceiling has double shatkona in which a lotus set was carved. The inscription which relates the construction of this mandapa states that it was 38 pillared structure with a spacious central hall possessing arched thorana and flanked by dwarapalaka image. The inscription also describes the ceiling as a decorated one with lotus medallions. Unfortunately these architectural elements are disfigured including the number of pillars and the structure is totally altered.

The Mallikarjuna Temple

The temple of God Mallikarjuna is situated in the centre of inner courtyard and faces to the east. This temple consists of Mukhamandapa, Antarala and Garbhagriha.


The Mukhamandapa is situated to the west of the Veerasiromandapa. It is an elaborated closed hall consisting of 16 pillars. This mandapa is also named as Mahamandapa and was built by the Vijayanagara king, Harihararaya – II in the year 1405 AD. There are three entrance gates with pillared porches on the east, south and north. All are these have decorated doorways and covered by the silver ornamented sheets at present. The Mandpa is extended 41.2 feet in length and 41.4 in width.

The base of this mandapa is a plain structure and the exterior walls above it are decorated with Devakosthas. These Kosthas are narrow and are not having any images. There are also latticed windows on either side of the porches. The interior of the mandapa has four rows of four pillars each. The central pillars are standing on a square which is slightly elevated. The lower part of the ceiling is divided into compartments and a big lotus was carved in the central one.

At the south – west of this mandapa there is four handed seated Vinayaka made of fine red stone and named as Ratnagarbha Ganapathi. Where as in the north – west, forty handed Veerabhadra holded with various weapons and four handed Bhadrakali are placed ,both of these are made with black stone and are in standing posture. This Veerabhadra is called as Sudarshana Veerabhadra. At the east of this mandapa there is a Nandi of black stone faces to the self emanated Jyothirlinga of Mallikarjuna.


Unlike the Mukhamandapa, the antharala is simple and plain structure. Even though the mukamandapa and antharala are not separated by any specific entrance, it contains a two pillared entrance like structure. The front portion of the pillars are decorated with a silver covering having dwarapalakas on either side and several forms of Siva such as Chandrasekaramurthy, Arthanareeswaramurthy, Gangadaramurthy, Lingodpowermurthy, Somaskandamurthy, Nandikeswaramurthy and Nataraja one above the other. The antharala is roughly hundred square feet dimension in extent.


The Garbalaya with sixty square feet structure is having an ornamental entrance. On the lower horizontal jamb, a purnakumba along with a female deity holding a lotus bud is depicted where as on the top Gajalakshmi is shown . On the two vertical jambs, foliage is very artistically depicted. At the centre of the structure is located the self emanated Jothirlinga on a Panavattam. This Panavattam appears to be a latter addition around the Sivalinga which is about 25 cms. in height. The interior portion of the Sikhara of the Sanctum Sanctorum is plain without any artistic decorations.

The Vimana

This structure speaks about the relative antiquity of the temple proper. These in the form of a stepped pyramidal structure containing nine tiers gradually receding towards the top. A total of nine tiers are visible and at the central portion on all sides each pair of receding tiers are joined with Simhalalata sculptures. Just below the pinnacle, on all four sides, four Nandi sculptures are arranged. Below the purnakumba on the top, an eight pettalled lotus is engraved. This type of stepped pyramidal structures became popular during the western Chalukyan period and continuing in the succeeding periods of Kalyani Chalukyas and Kakatiyas in Andhra Pradesh.

The Chaya Someswara temple at Paanagal in Nalgonda District, the Swayambu temple in Warangal fort, and most of the trikuta temples of the Kakatya period, have these types of super structure. Because of these similarities, historians such as M. Ramarao, are of the opinion that, the Srisailam temple might have been constructed in 10th century A.D. However, on the basis of the Bayyaram Tank inscription of the Kakatya times. Dr. P. V.P Sastry have correctly identified that the present Garbagraha was constructed by the Kakatya queen Mailamamba in 1220-30 A.D. This queen, who was the sister of Kakati Ganapathi Deva, in the above mentioned inscription gloriously proclaims that, she constructed a temple for Siva, which is like virtual Kailasa. On the basis of her donative constructions at other places like Kolanupaka , Tripurantakam etc. It can be safely be presumed that, the present Garbhagraha of the Srisailam was constructed by her in 13th century.
At present this Vimana Gopuram was gilded with Gold plates.

The Antiquity Of The Temple Complex

The Antiquity of Srisailam is linked with tradition. It is therefore difficult is identify the date of temple and the Gods enshrined therin. However an attempt can be made with available sources.

Although, the puranas and other literary works speaks about the glory antiquity of Saisailam, the same cannot be attested on archeological and historical grounds. The Nasik inscription of Queen Naganika of the Satavahana dyanasty, while mentioning their extent of their kingdom, mention Sirithana as one of the important places in the eastern extension of the empire. This is identified with the range of hills, presently known as Sriparvatha, which are the Nallamalai hill ranges extending from Srisailam up to Nagarjuna Konda.

In first century A.D., Nagarjuna Konda is not known as a historical place and hence the Sirithana of this inscription is equated with Sriparvatha or Srisailam. The earliest inscription found at Srisailam discovered recently is a label inscription in sixth century A.D., Brahmi characters reading “Sarasa Paramathma” which is identified to indicate the name of a Siddha at this place, which indicate this place is known to be a Siddhakshetra by sixth century A.D.The Harsha Charita of a same period also terms Srisaila as a Siddhakshetra.

Although there are a couple of inscriptions dated 1206 and 1298 A.D., found at HataKeshwaram and Bheemasankaramatham respectively. They do not contain any tangible historical references. Thus between seventh and thirteenth centuries, surprisingly there are no historical records available at Srisailam.

The first historically significant inscription found at Srisailam belongs to Pradaba Rudra of 1313 A.D., The absence of any inscriptions prior to the said one is a matter of utter disappointment.;.

Despite all these historical gaps, in tracing out the evolution of the Srisailam temple complex, it can be surmised that the discovery of early temple construction activity datable to the first century A.D. at the insignificant places like Virapuram in Kurnool district, we can say with a degree of certainty that that the Srisailam temple also might have been constructed during the same period or prior to it.

The Temple Of Bhramaramba

The temple of Bhramaramba is faces to the east and located in the back court yard of the main complex at an elevated level and is very near to the western Gopuram of main prakaram. The temple is surrounded by an enclosure with varamandapas at the innersides.

The way of this temple starts at the back side of Mallikarjuna Temple with wide steps, leading to the doorway of the enclosure. This doorway is having a Mandapa Dwaram with Gopuram on it. This temple is consists of Garbhalaya and Mukhamandapa. The Mukha Mandapa was added by a 24 pillered Pradakshana Mandapa in 1964 – 65. Among the pillars of this mandapa, 14 pillars are beautifully sculptured and remaining 10 pillars are ornate. It seems that the Mukhamandapa is also a later addition and it has entrances on the east, south and north. The exterior lower wall of the Mukhamandapa has relief sculptures if dancing girls and muscians and these are clearly of Vijayanagara Style.

At the interior centre of the Mukhamandapa facing the entrance of the sanctum sanctorum, the stone Srichakra is is installed to which daily worship is being offered. A story preserved in the folklore narrates that, Adisankara, saw the violent form of Bhramaramba ?Devi and to reduce her violent power, installed Srichakra in front of the Garbhagriha. There is also a Padmasila at the east of the Srichakra.


The garbhalaya is a square structure and its outer walls are depicted with scenes of Ramayana and they are clearly of Vijayanagara style. The doorjambs are carved with lotus foliage designs and where as on the top of jamb there a form of Sakthi as Lalatabimba . At present the doorjamb is gilded with silver plates.

The image of Brahmaramba in the sanctum sanctorum is in the form of Mahishasura Mardini in a standing posture, with eight hands. She is keeping the demon Mahisha with her left leg and holding his face with the left hand and piercing it with the trisula of right hand. In her hands, she is shown holding a dagger, mace, sword, a bow, a shield and Parigha.. On the right shoulder of the deity an arrow holder is also depicted.

The Vimana

The Vimana Gopuram of Bhramaramba temple shows early architectural features. It is Dvitala vimana of Dravidian style and exhibits the images of Sakthi forms, female Bhuthaganas, lions etc., The cardinal Koshtas houses the images of Durga in the east, Vaishnavi in the west, and Brahmi in the north. The Vimana Sikhara is capped by Rekhadalapadma. This super structure seems to have been constructed in 14th-15th centuries.

The Antiquity Of Bhramaramba Temple

According to our puranas Goddess Bhramaramba is one of the Eighteen Mahasakthis and it is said that this is the place where the neck portion of Sathi Devi was placed during Daksha Yagna episode.

The puranic antiquity of Goddess Bhramaramba again stands in puzzling position due to the lack of historical and epigraphical evidences. None of the inscriptions prior to fifteenth century attest to the existence of the Sakti temple at this place. However, literature, attests to its existence as Adi Sankara have written some of the poems in his Sivananada Lahari in praise of goddess Brahmaramba. It is a well known fact that the worship of the female element is the earliest form of religion in the entire world. The Linga worship along with the Mother goddess worship is known right from the Indus Valley times. As such, the existence of a Siva temple at Srisailam presupposes a Sakti temple as early as first century A.D. and so Goddess Bhramaramba is not a late innovation, as some scholars think.

The Mastya Purana states that Srisailam is the seat of Mother Goddess Madhavi. Some of the historians are opined that the Puranas such as Mastya Purana etc., believed the have been compiled during the period of Gupthas i.e before the middle of the 5th Century A.D.

A tantric work Matangi Tantra datable to fifteenth century A.D., speaks about a Matangi temple at Srisailam. This in course of time might have receded into the background to come back into lime light on during fifteenth century. An inscription dated 1492 A.D., at Srisailam mentions that one Udayagiri Appanayya constructed a flight of steps from the southern entrance of the Malikarjuna temple up to the Brahmaramba temple.

In another inscription dated 1531 A.D, engraved on pillar of Virasiro mandapa states that one Maalappa Naidu donated fans to Lord Malikarjuna and silk sarees to Goddess Brahmaramba Devi. The renowned poet Srinatha of 15th century gloriously describes the goddess Brahmaramba of Srisailam. The Maratha King Sivaji is said to have received the sword from the goddess Brahmaramba for the preservation of the Hindu Dharma. The local tradition ascribes the construction of the Northern Gopura was caused by him.

Minor Shrines

The spacious complex of Srisailam temple was embellished with several minor shrines by various ruling dynasties, military chiefs, rich merchants, female members of the royal families and so on. Among the minor shrines mention should be made to the temples of Vriddha Malikarjuna, Sahasralingeswara, Arthanariswara, Nava Brahma, Uma Maheswara, Rajarajeswari and Rajarajeswara, Virabhadra and Kumaraswamy. These are located in various parts of the temple complex around the Malikarjuna temple. Vriddha Malikarjuna Temple

The local folklore identifies this shrine as the most ancient structure of temple complex and hence named the deity as Vriddha Mallikarjuna. . The architecture of the gopura of the temple in its plain structure speaks about its relative antiquity. The temple consists of sanctum sanctorum, facing north and having entrances on east and northern sides. At its centre,At its centre, is the Linga of Vriddha Mallikarjuna Swamy on Panavattam. It sems that the Panavatta is a latter addition . In front of the sanctum, a pillared mandapa seems to have been added .The Sivalinga looks like the fossilized form of a tree trunk, the like of which is also noticed in the temple of Nivritti Sangameswaram, the north western gateway shrine of Srisailam.

Historians believed that, the local tribals, Chenchus were worshipping this Sivalinga which was later included as part of the main temple complex. The super structure of the sanctum sanctorum in its plain stepped pyramidal form and seems to have been constructed during the Chalukyan times of 7th-8th century A.D.

Sahasra Lingeswara Temple

This beautiful shrine is located exactly behind the Vriddha Malikarjuna temple facing south. It also consists of the sanctum sanctorum and a small pillared mandapa in front. At the centre of the sanctum sanctorum is the highly ornamental Sivalinga, having a tiered pitha and panabatta. The linga proper is consisting of 1000 small Sivalingas, sculpted in 25 rows each having 40 small Sivalingas. The highly polished nature of this Sivalinga speaks about its Kakatiayan antiquity. Similar Sahasra Lingas are found in many Kakatiyan temples across the state. The super structure of the sanctum sanctorum is in Nagara style.

The Arthanariswara Temple

This temple is located to the north of Malikarjuna temple facing east. It also consists of the garbagriha and a small pillared mandapa. Unlike the usual practice, the Arthanariswara in this temple is shown in a seated posture in padmasana. The pedestal below is decorated with a series of miniature lions, in three rows. The deity is having four hands, the right side hands depicting a trident and an abaya hasta, where as on the left they are holding a lotus bud and varadha mudra. The right half of the body is in male form, while the left half is in the female form. The right half of the head is in jatamakuta, which the left half is in kiritamakuta. Similarly, the dress pattern depicts the skin of a tiger on the right side, with the saree on the left side. On stylish grounds, this sculpture may be datable to 12th – 13th century A.D.

Pancha Sivalayas

Adjacent to the Malikarjuna temple to its north about 2 meters away i.e at the left side of Arthanareeswara Temple are these five temples of Siva which are called as Pancha Pandava temples and Pancha Sivalayas. All of them are having similar sikharas and then common pillared mandapa in front. The five Sivalingas are named after the forms of Siva: Sadyojatha , Vamadeva, Aghora, Tatpurusha and Esana. The sikharas of these in their Nagara style speak about the Kakatiyan antiquity.

Virabhadra Temple

Immediately to the north of Pancha Sivalayas, is this temple of Virabhadra. Besides the sanctum sanctorum, this temple is also having a pillared mandapa attached to it on the eastern and northern sides. The presiding deity Virabhadra is shown in standing posture with ten hands. In his right five hands, he is holding from below respectively trisula, sword, goad, ankusa and arrow. Similarly the left five hands are holding the shield, kutvanga, snake, deer and bow. He is wearing a long garland of skulls. Near his legs on the left side the demon daksha is depicted.

Nava Brahma Temples

Behind the Malikarjuna temple, there located nine minor shrines in a row having a common pillared warandah. Each of them enshrined with Sivalingas named after the eight forms of Siva such as Bhava, Sarva, Esana, Pasupathi, Rudra, Ugra, Bheeema and Mahadeva. They are named after eight natural elements such as, and Yajamana linga. The ninth temple is having the Moksha linga. It is not clear how these nine temples are called as Nava Brahma temples and there is no inscriptional or literary evidence in that direction. The architectural style of these shrines indicates the Chalukyan antiquity.

The Temple Of Kumaraswamy

At the end of these Nava Brahma temple is this temple of Kumaraswamy in seated posture. He is depicted in arthapariyasana, on a pedestal on which peacock is depicted holding a snake in its beak. The deity is having six faces and twelve hands holding different weapons such as akshamala, bow and arrow, sword, cakra, pasa and trisula on the right side; and kamandala, bow, shield, shanka, snake and damaru on the left side. This sculpture in its having a high polish indicates its Kakatiyan antiquity.

Uma-Maheswara Temple

This temple is located in the Sala mandapa to the north of Malikarjuna temple. It consists of the sanctum sanctorum and a small open mandapa in front. The presiding deity is depicted in arthapariyankasana posture. On his left thigh is depicted goddess Uma in similar posture. Siva is shown with four hands; the top left hand is in abaya mudra and the lower hand holding the deer. The goddess is holding in her left hand a lotus bud and her right hand is resting on her thigh. Both of them are decorated with a variety of ornaments all over the bodies.

Rajarajeswara Temples

To the left of Uma Maheswara temple facing to the west are the temples of Rajarajeswara swamy and Rajarajeswari Devi.. Both of them are having small pillared mandapa in front and the sikhara of the sanctum sanctorum is in stepped pyramidal style.

The Linga of Rajarajeswara Swamy is in Palava Style. Goddess Rajarajeswari sculpture is shown in arthasana posture having four hands holding ankusa and the bana on the right side, pasa and the bow on the left side.

Aasthana Mandapa

To the left of Nava Brahma temple is the spacious pillared mandapa which is called as aasthana mandapa. During the medieval times it is stated that the rulers used to take rest in this mandapa during their seasonal visits. It is also said that, the Utsavamurthis are decorated in this mandapa before taking them in procession. Hence it is also called as Alankara mandapa. Recently the sculptures of Akkamadevi and Hema Reddy Mallamma are installed in a small shrine like structure at the centre of this mandapa.

Sayana Mandapa

At the north eastern corner of the temple is this sixteen pillared open mandapa, having at its centre a raised pedestal where the Kalyanam of Sri Swamy and Ammavaru was celebrated in olden days. This appears to have been constructed during Vijayanagara period. Presently it was closed on all sides and was modified as Sayana Mandiram ( Mirror Hall ) of God and Goddess and daily Ekantha Seva is being performed.

The Balipitha

The Balipitha in the temple complex is a unique one. It is situated at the northern porch of Sri Swamyvari Mukhamandapam. At the top of this Balipitha there is Padmasila and in its petals, Dikpalakas with their respective vehicles are depicted. The depicting of Dikpalakas on the Balipitha is very rare feature. Another interesting feature of this Balipitha is that a miniature (model temple) made with granite stone is mounted over it. This model temple houses a Sivalinga and Nandi faces to it. On the exterior part of this model temple images of Natarajamurthi, Lingodhbhavamurthi and Gajasura samharamurthi are placed in Bhadrakosthas. The inscriptional evidences states that this Balipitha was built by Maddanasetty Gangamalli setty in the 1313 AD.

Tirthas ( Springs )

The previous description of the structures of the temple complex listed eleven thirthas with mandpas over them ( Na Kasi Yatra – A travelogue by Enugula Veera swamy) At present only three viz. Manoharagundam, Mallikagundam and Rudhiragundam are in use and others are closed and their structures were also removed due to dilapidation.

Mallika Gundam

The Mallika gundam is situated to the north of Mallikarjuna temple and over it there is a 16 pillared mandapa. According to an inscription dated 1512 AD incised on the pillars of the eastern porch of Swamy temple , this mandapa was built by Lingabhupla the local ruler. During the period of Sri Krishnadevaraya of Vijayanagara dynasty, Srisailam was identified as an Administrative unit and his subordinates were appointed as rulers.The water of this gundam is using for the rituals of Sri Swamy temple.

Manohara Gundam

Manonoharagundam is situated to the south of Mallikarjuna temple. It is stepped well covered by a closed mandapa. This structure looks like a temple and also has a doorjamb. The water of this gundam is also in regular use.


This covered spring is located at the north west corner of Bhramaramba temple. The water of this spring is regularly used in the rituals of Ammavari temple.


The timings of the temple is as follow:

From To  
4.30 AM 5.00 AM  Mangalavadyams.
5.00 AM 5.15 AM  Suprabhatam.
5.15 AM  6.30 AM Pratahkalapuja, Gopuja and Maha Mangala Harathi.
6.30 AM 1.00 PM Darshanam, Abhishekam and Archanas by the devotees.
1.00 PM 3.30 PM Alankara Darshanam.
4.30 PM 4.50 PM Mangalavadyams.
4.50 PM 5.20 PM  Pradoshakalapuja.
5.20 PM 6.00 PM Susandhyam and Maha Mangala Harathi.
5.50 PM 6.20 PM Rajopachara puja (Parakulu) to Bhramaramba Devi.
6.20 PM  9.00 PM Darshanam, Abhishekam and Archanas.
9.00 PM 10.00 PM Dharma Darshanam.
9.30 PM 10.00 PM  Ekantha Seva.
10.00 PM   Closure of the temple.

Darshanams Timings

Name of the Darshanams Time Amount Entry for
Suprabhatha Darshanam 5.00 AM 300.00 Couple or Single person
Mahamangala Harathi 5.50 AM 200.00 One Person
Athiseegra Darshanam 6.30 AM to 1.00 PM & 6.30 PM to 9.00 PM 100.00 Couple or Single person
Special Queue Line  Darshanam 6.30 AM to 1.00 PM & 6.30 PM to 9.00 PM 50.00 One Person
Free Darshanam ingeneral Queue 6.00 AM to 3.30 PM & 6.00 PM to 10.00 PM    
Mahamangala Harathi (Evening) 5.00 PM 200.00 One Person
Quick Darshanam 6.30 AM to 1.00 PM & 6.30 PM to 9.00 PM 100.00  

Note: The Suprabhatam ,Harathi,Darshnam and Abhishekams will be advanced during monday’s i.e they will be start from suprabhatam 4.00Am,Harathi 5.00Am,Abhishekam 5.30Am and Darshnam 5.30Am


Tradition, literature as well as epigraphical sources state that the sacred hill of Srisailam has four gateways in the four cardinal directions namely,

Tripuranthakam is in Prakasam District in the east where God Tripurantakeshwara Swamy and Goddess Tripurasundari Devi are presiding deities.

Siddhavatam is located on the bank of the river Penna in Kadapa District in the south where Jyothisideswara Swamy and Goddess Kamakshi Devi are the presiding deities.

Alampur is on the bank of the river Tungabhadra in Mahaboobnagar District in the west where Navabrahma Alayas, a group of nine temples of the Chalukya period, are. This Kshetram is also the seat of Goddess Jogulamba, one of the eighteen Mahasakthis.

Umamaheswaram is located in Rangapur, Achampeta Mandal, Mahaboobnagar District in the North where God Umamaheswara Swamy and Goddess Umamaheswari Devi are the presiding deities.

Sevas & Poojas

Sri Swamyvari Temple

Name of the Sevas & Poojas
Cost of ticket
Pooja Articals and Prasadams
No. of Pilgrims allowed
8.00 AM to 1.00 PM
6.00 PM to 8.30 PM
Provided by the Temple
Couple  or Single
6.00 AM to 8.00 AM
Rs. 1500.00
6.00AM to 1.00 PM & 6.00PM to 8.30PM

Couple  or Single
Couple  or Single
7.00AM to 7.30AM
Couple  or Single
7.30AM 8.30AM
Provided by the Temple
Couple  or Single
11.00 AM
Who Performed the Seva they have to contact the temple authorities two days advance and they have to get the bilwam leaves.
Couple  or Single
11.00 AM
Who Performed the Seva they have to contact the temple authorities two days advance and they have to get the bilwam leaves.
Couple  or Single
7.00 AM to 9.00 AM
Who Performed the Seva they have to contact the temple authorities two days advance.
Couple  or Single
8.30AM TO  9.30AM

Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
9.30 AM  TO  10.00AM
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
6.30 AM to  1.00 PM & 6.00 PM to 8.30 PM
Couple or single
9.30AM TO  10.30AM
Couple or single
10.30AM TO  11.30AM
Couple or single
11.30AM TO  1.30AM
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
6.30AM TO  1.00PM & 6.00PM TO  8.30PM
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
6.30AM TO  1.00PM & 6.00PM TO  8.30PM
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
Go Pooja
Rs. 120
Rs. 2516
Rs. 516
Radhotsavam (Only Monday)
7.00 PM to 7.30 PM
Couple  or Single
7.00 PM to 7.30 PM
Rs. 520.00
Couple  or Single
Suprabhata Seva
5.30 AM to 6.30 AM
Rs. 300.00
7.00PM to 7.30 PM
Rs. 220.00
Couple  or Single
9.30 PM to 10.00 PM
Prasadams Provided by the Temple
Couple  or Single

Sri Ammawari Temple

Name of the Sevas & Poojas
Cost of ticket
Pooja Articals and Prasadams
No. of Pilgrims allowed
7.00AM to 1.00PM & 6.00PM to 8.30PM
Rs. 350.00
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
7.00AM to 1.00PM & 6.00PM to 8.30PM
Rs. 150.00
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
Rs. 300.00
Couple or single
Rs. 1200.00
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
Navavarana Pooja
Rs. 600.00
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
6.00 AM to 12.30 PM
Rs. 2116.00
Who Performed the Seva they have to contact the temple authorities two days advance.
Couple or single
Suvarnapushparchana at Srichakram
Rs. 1000.00
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
Preparation of Ammavari Bogam Prasadam (Per Kg)
Rs. 216
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single

Both Temples


7.15 PM

Rs. 1000.00
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single
Sarvaseva Pathakam   (All Sevas will be performed in this Seva)
Rs. 5000.00
Provided By The Temple
Couple or single

Note:- All ticket poojas/sevas will be canceled during Mahasivaratri & Ugadi Festivals


The Devasthanam is having 25 individual cottages, Pathaleswara Sadan with 23 Deluxe Suites, Sivasadanam guest house with 100 rooms, T.T.D Guest House with 10 rooms,Chandeswara Sadanam with 22 rooms and a dormitory Choultry consisting of 7 Halls.

Devasthanam has also constructed a modern complex with 112 suites named as Gangasadan and Gowrisadan.


S.No Cottages & Rooms Rent Per Day
1 Sivasadanam 100
2 Pathaleswara Sadanam(A/C  ) 800
3 Chandeeswara Sadan (A/C) 400
  Chandeeswara Sadan ( Non A/C) 250
  Chandeeswara Sadan (One A/C, One Non A/C) 600
4 T.T.D (A/C) 300
  T.T.D Non A/C 100
5 Aditya Cottage 2000
6 Soma Enterprises 1200
7 Eswaramma Cottage 1000
8 Siddeswara Cottage 1200
9 Ramanaidu Cottage 600
10 Cottage (2 A/C & 1 Non A/C ) 1000
11 Cottage (2 A/C ) 800
12 Cottage (1 A/C & 1 Non A/C) 600
13 Bramari Sadanam Hall 200
14 Ganga & Gouri Sadan (A/C) 650
  Ganga & Gouri Sadan (Non A/C) 400
  Ganga & Gouri Sadan (Hall 20 Beds) 2000
15 Pilgrim Sheds (No Beds) 450
  Pilgrim Sheds (No Beds) 350

Besides this there are 40 private choultries consisting of about 1200 rooms and they are also providing accommodation to the pilgrim.

The Department of Tourism is maintaining Punnami Guest Houses consisting about 50 suites.

Free Accomodation

The Devasthanam has constructed pilgrim sheds at Pathalaganga Road and at Filter Bed with number of toilets and with drinking water facilities. They are being given to the pilgrims who came through Tourist Buses.

(a). Abstract of Devasthanam Accommodation available :
Sl.No Description A.Cs Non A.Cs Halls
1 Cottages 27 2 Nil
2 Sivasadanam Nil 83 Nil
3 T.T.D. Choultry 8 4 Nil
4 Pathaleswara Sadan 24 Nil Nil
5 * Ganga Gouri Sadanams 35 85 6
6 Chandeeswara Sadan 4 23 Nil
7 Bhramarisadan Nil Nil 3
  Total : 98 197 9

Grand Total : 304

In addition to the above Devasthanam accommodation, 1553 Rooms are available in various private choultries. A statement showing the above details is annexed.

Sl.No Name of the Choultry Total Rooms
1 Lingayat Choultry 42
2 Srungeri Sankar Mutt 14
3 Vasavi Satram 150
4 Kambam Satram 110
5 Kshetraya Satram  (Rajula Satram) 60
6 Saranabasaveswara Satram 22
7 Karivena Satram 150
8 Karnataka Guest House 25
9 Padmasaleeya Satram 65
10 Arya Gowda Anna Satram 60
11 Kakateeya Kmma Satram 72
12 Akhila Bharata Redla Satram 159
13 Telaga, Kapu, Balija Satram 90
14 Karna Bhakta Satram 16
15 Sarangadhara Satram 20
16 Devanga Satram 50
17 Sholapur Anna Satram 21
18 Velama Satram 35
19 Togata veera Kshetriya Satram 36
20 Viswabrahmna Satram 33
21 Warangal Satram 14
22 Jagadguru Anna Satram 73
23 Yadava Anna Satram 66
24 Salivahana Anna Satram 28
25 Tourisam Guest House 37
26 Manikyeswari Matha Asramam 16
27 Mudi Rajula Anna Satram 11
28 Rajaka Anna Satram 10
29 Sridevi Veda Vidyalayam 24
30 Gurukula Patasala 6
31 Nayee Brahmana Anna Satram 8
32 Zilla Parishad Guest House 6
33 Vadiyala Rajula Satram 10
34 R & B Guest House 6
35 Mallikarjuna Anna Satram 8
  Total : 1553

Secondary gateways
Besides the main gateways, there are four Secondary Gateways in the four corners:

Eleswaram: Located in Mahaboobnagar District now submerged in the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam in the northeast with Eleswara Swamy and Katyani as presiding deities.
Somasila: Located on the bank of the river Penna in the southeast with Skanda Someshwara as the presiding deity.

Pushpagiri: Located in Kadapa District in the southwest with Santana Malleshwara as presiding deity.

Sangameswaram: Located at the confluence of the River Krishna and Tungabhadra in Kurnool District in the northwest and submerged at Srisailam Dam with Sangameswara as presiding deity. This temple has been re-built at Alampur.


Visiting Places


Leave a Reply to Tirumala Hills

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s